Monday, July 4, 2011

Summer style potato with basil and tomato

Basically this is a copy of  the basil potatoes that my mum used to make when we were little. I asked her for the recipe many times but I always forget it, so now I came up with my own. My brain seriously stopped today while writing my essay so I needed something to get it to function again. However, it's a fact that with new potatoes, fresh basil and ripe tomatoes, you cannot really fail... :)


Ingredients:
  • 6 new potatoes
  • 2 ripe tomatoes
  • half a red onion
  • 10-12 leaves of fresh basil
  • a hanful of fresh thyme
  • 3 tablespoons of sour cream
  • salt, fresh ground pepper
  • a tiny bit of oil

Wash the potatoes but you can leave the skin on, if it's nice. Wash the tomatoes as well, and peel the onion.  What we need is to have equal sied potato slices, which is also true for the onin and the tomaotes. So slice everything up and then you can start puting together the dish. Pour a bit of olive oil into a heatproof dish and lay the firs layer of potatoes. Sprinkle salt and pepper on them. Lay a couple of slices of tomatoes on the top of the potatoes and some onion as well. Season it with the basil and the thyme. Continue with the layers until you run out of potatoes. The top layer has to be potatoes because the final step is spreading some sour cream on top. Put the whole thing in the oven for about an hour at 180 degrees, preferably covered with aluminium foil, which you can remove in the last 10 minutes so that the top can roast a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment